Description: Galatea Creek was once a place for adventurers, being fraught with difficulty and uncertainty. In the early morning, low water in the Kananaskis River would entice people to wade across to the “trail.” On returning in the late afternoon, they would sometime find the river a raging torrent and be forced to spend the night trapped on the west bank within sight of their vehicles.
Since then, the trail has been rebuilt with umpteen bridges, including a suspension bridge across the Kananaskis River and Galatea Creek and passing beautiful waterfalls.
This is an intermediate hike and is a popular trail and offers great scenic views. The dirt trail is mostly sheltered by forest up to Lillian Lake. The section up to the upper and lower Galatea Lakes are steep and exposed with loose rocks and wind with great views of Lillian Lake from the top.
• Events are subject to cancellation or change on short notice due to changes in government
• Carpooling – use your own discretion and what you are comfortable with.
• No food / snack sharing.
• Bring your own wipes and hand sanitizer and a mask.
• Social distancing and any other rules set out by authorities must be followed. Please respect
• Washrooms may not be available - please be prepared to pack out what you bring in, such as
Toilet paper, etc.
• Please make yourself aware of the risks in participating in this sort of event and decide
• Don`t forget the usual items; bear spray, proper clothing, water, food, equipment and first aid kit.
• Trip participants are asked to provide their cell contact information and emergency contact
information to the trip coordinator, prior to, due to the 'meet at trail head' requirement.
• Please do not sign up if you are experiencing any flu like, cold, or Covid19 symptoms.
Hiking Distance: 16.7 Kilometers / 5 to 7 Hours
Elevation Gain: 740 Meters / 2427 Feet
Maximum Elevation Gain: 2027 Meters / 6650 Feet
Travel Distance: 119 Kilometers One Way / 1 Hour and 31 Minutes
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Rendezvous Point: North Edworthy Park, northeast corner and look for the Grey CRV Honda. Please arrive 15 minutes before so a vehicle convey can be arranged, as we will be leaving at 8:00 a.m. sharp.
Event Coordinator: For inquiries, please contact the event coordinator Gigi at (403) 710-2490 (c), or by email a firstname.lastname@example.org. On the day of the event, call or text me if your plans have changed.
Policy on Pets: All trips / events will be no pets unless expressly noted. Other than service dogs, participation with pets is to be approved by the Event Host or Organizer.
Members are responsible for keeping their pet under control and on a leash at all times and abiding by Park and other regulations. (Unless in a designated off-leash area with the Organizer’s blessing). Members may be banned from trips if they do not keep their dog on a leash and fail to pick up after their pet.
Guest Policy: The Club is currently discouraging guests of a member attending an event at this time due to the pandemic situation and potential liability issues. Once the government has lifted and has relaxed restrictions, guests are more than welcome to attend two events, as per the Calgary Ski Club Policy prior to Covid-19.
2 people including the driver
3 people including the driver
4 people including the driver
5 people including the driver
Please ensure to purchase your Kananaskis Conservation Pass ahead of time.