Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Snowshoe Minnewanka to Bankhead
Sunday, January 30, 2022, 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM
Edworthy Park, North Parking Lot
Map to Edworthy
Shaganappi & Montgomery View NW
Registration is required
Registration cancellations will be accepted until Friday, January 28, 2022 at 6:00 PM
There's some Alberta history to check out not too far from Lake Minnewanka parking, and we can do that on snowshoes. From the parking area we take the Cascade Fire Road for a ways before heading onto an abandoned trail that connects to the remains of the old coal mining town of Bankhead. Lots of building foundations and some old equipment to see. There'll be plenty of opportunities for selfies and group action shots, and naturally lunch in sunshine.
Our outbound route is mostly downhill for about 2.5 km into the Cascade River valley, so our return ascent is about 50 m.
Please be aware if there is inclement weather forecasted the day of the event, it may be rescheduled and / or cancelled.
• Events are subject to cancellation or change on short notice due to changes in government
• Carpooling - Use your discretion and what you are comfortable with. Must be doubled vaccinated.
• No food / snack sharing.
• Bring your own wipes and hand sanitizer and a mask.
• Social distancing and any other rules set out by authorities must be followed. Please respect
• Washrooms may not be available - please be prepared to pack out what you bring in, such as
Toilet paper, etc.
• Please make yourself aware of the risks in participating in this sort of event and decide
• Don`t forget the usual items; bear spray, proper clothing, water, food, equipment and first aid kit.
• Trip participants are asked to provide their cell contact information and emergency contact
information to the trip coordinator, prior to the event.
• Please do not sign up if you are experiencing any flu like, cold, or Covid19 symptoms.