This ride is as long and fast as you want to make it. You can go a few kilometers up hill, or try to go all the way to the snow line, if it is still there on ride day.
South end closed gate of Highway 40.
Starting Point Location:
50 km west of Longview, Alberta.
Longview, first parking lot on the right as you come into town, right beside the Esso. Look for Green Avalanche.
: 9:30 am in Longview. From there we drive as a group to closed gate at Highway 40.
Between 10 and 60 kilometres return, your choice.
A continuous up hill climb on undulating road, with older pavement. Chances are you could have a headwind on the way back, making return just as much of a work out.
200 - 400 meters.
Where you want to turn around.
Type of Terrain: Rolling hills, mostly an uphill climb, some flat spots. Good views.
Pavement can be rougher in places.
Your bike should have a bell to warn wildlife and other cyclists. It is also good practice to have a spare inner tube and an air pump.
Special Pandemic Conditions:
• Events are subject to cancellation or change on short notice due to changes in government
• No carpooling - meet at Longview and convoy to trailhead.
• No food / snack sharing.
• Bring your own wipes and hand sanitizer and a mask.
• Social distancing and any other rules set out by authorities must be followed. Please respect
• Washrooms will not be available - please be prepared to pack out what you bring in, such as
Toilet paper, etc.
• Please make yourself aware of the risks in participating in this sort of event and decide
• Don`t forget the usual items; bear spray, proper clothing, water, food, equipment and first aid kit.
• Trip participants are asked to provide their cell contact information and emergency contact
information to the trip coordinator, prior to, due to the 'meet at trail head' requirement.
• Please do not sign up if you are experiencing any flu like, cold, or Covid19 symptoms.
Guest Policy: The Club is currently discouraging guests of a member attending an event at this time due to the pandemic situation and potential liability issues. Once the government has lifted and has relaxed restrictions, guests are more than welcome to attend two events, as per the Calgary Ski Club Policy prior to Covid-19.