Update: With the AB COVID restrictions extended, I plan to cancel this trip unless I can find a replacement trip leader by the end of day Thursday, Jan. 14th.
Dog-friendly XC trip. Close to town, Bragg Creek offers a wide array of trails. Moose Loop or Iron Springs offer some interesting intermediate trails. A great excuse for a day out, and often a quick trip as its just over in Bragg Creek. There are rolling hills, so skiers should be comfortable with snowplowing and herringbone. Also, Bragg Creek is temperamental weather-wise, so be prepared for a change in location if conditions aren’t favourable.
Dogs must be well behaved, under control by their owners at all times, and follow the parks rules and regulations. Non-dog owners welcome too!
Difficulty Level: Moderate (D3)
Distance: 12 km
Elevation: 150-250 m
Duration: 3 - 4 hrs (+ driving time; 1 hr one way)
What to Bring: Skis, boots, poles, warm weather clothes, water, lunch, snacks
Coordinator: Erika Harrison
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or (403) 918-3064 (cell)
Trailhead: West Bragg Creek
Driving Distance: 100 km
Directions: From the Trans-Canada, take Highway 22 south (just before the Humpty's/Petro-Canada) until you reach the stop sign in Bragg Creek. Turn right. Follow the road, crossing a bridge, and turning left at the T-junction. Follow this road to the parking lot/trailhead at the end. Note: The road after the bridge and before the trailhead can be icy - drive with caution. (Google Maps)
Departs At: 9: 00 am. Please arrive early so we can leave promptly.
Departure Location: Meet at the north Edworthy parking lot. Located at the intersection of Shaganappi Trail and Memorial Drive/Bowness Road. GPS coordinates are: 51.06361, -114.150976. (Google Maps)
Notice of Cancellation: Please contact the trip leader if you need to cancel your registration.
Safety Precaution: Skiers should be comfortable with snowplow and herringbone. Note: Location may change, or event may be cancelled depending upon the conditions.
- Events are subject to cancellation or change on short notice due to changes in government restrictions.
- No carpooling - meet at trailhead or at a junction and convoy to trailhead.
- No food / snack sharing.
- Bring your own wipes and hand sanitizer and a mask.
- Social distancing and any other rules set out by authorities must be followed. Please respect others.
- Washrooms may not be available - please be prepared to pack out what you bring in, such as toilet paper, etc.
- Please make yourself aware of the risks in participating in this sort of event and decide accordingly.
- Don`t forget the usual items; proper clothing, water, food, equipment and first aid kit.
- Trip participants are asked to provide their cell contact information and emergency contact information to the trip coordinator, prior to, due to the 'meet at trail head' requirement.
- Please do not sign up if you are experiencing any flu like, cold, or Covid19 symptoms.