The Calgary Ski Club is the oldest outdoor recreational club in the City. Our mission:
“To promote the joy of skiing and other directly related sports, in all their diversity and to foster fellowship, healthy living and adventure year-round among recreational skiers and outdoor enthusiasts.”
Our focus is to provide opportunities for our members to enjoy year round outdoor activities. We are an all season, all ages, recreational club and welcome members of all ages and skill levels.
Members are people just like you who share an enthusiasm for the outdoors, whether they cross country, downhill, snowboard, snowshoe, cycle or hike.
We offer our members great prices on trips and programs, and provide a wide range of activities - everything from single day carpool trips to the mountains, bus trips to resorts for cross country skiers, downhill skiers, snowboarders and snowshoers as well as summer activities and social events.
Our events are planned and organized by volunteer coordinators and posted on our calendar. You will get notification of events that meet your interests. Simply sign up, gear up, show up!
Don't forget our social events. Pub nights, dining out and others. Opportunities to get together and have some fun in the City.
We encourage CSC members to contribute some of their time to the Club after they get to know the ropes. Each of our activities is generally organized by one or two members. Plan an event. Run a trip. Be a coordinator or participate on a committee. Serve as a Director on our Council and have a say in running the club.
Getting involved is easy, and the rewards are great! For information on our Volunteer Recognition and Reward program, see our Volunteering Pays page.
Our big fundraiser is the Calgary New and Used Ski Sale which we run in partnership with the Ski Patrol and the Lake Louise Ski Club. This pays for our administration and subsidizes many of our activities. We ask all members to help out in some way if they can. You earn rewards to help pay for events.
Everyone is welcome to come to our meetings and to participate in activities. The best way to learn more about the Club and meet members is to come out to an activity!
From its origins in 1920 with Scandinavian ski jumpers in Elbow Park to today's recreational ski club, the Club's history is the story of the city's ski pioneers who helped establish the sport in Calgary and in Banff National Park.
We host the annual Lake Louise Loppet, Western Canada's first citizen cross country ski race begun in 1952, and have hosted or co-hosted the Calgary New and Used Ski Sale since 1963.
Throughout the years, the Calgary Ski club has been involved in:
Join us and continue making history.
- Ski jumps in Elbow Park in the 1920s
- Back-country skiing at Skoki Lodge in the 1930s
- Ski trains to Banff in the 1930s and 40s
- Early days at Norquay and Sunshine in the 1930s and 40s
- Western Canada's first volunteer Ski Patrol in the 1940s
- First National Downhill Ski Championships in the west in 1937
- Creation of the ski hills at Shaganappi and Bowness, ancestors of today's Canada Olympic Park, in the 1950s
- Canada's earliest training programs for ski guides in the 1950s
- Construction of back-country huts with the Alpine Club in the 1960s
- Advocacy for better ski facilities during the 1960s and 70s
- The New and Used Ski sale from 1963 to present
- The Lake Louise Loppet, Western Canada's first cross country ski race, from the 1970s to present
- Created and maintained ski trails at Lake Louise from 1979 to present
- Provided volunteers and staff from CSC to the Calgary Olympic Games in 1988
- Created and maintained ski trails at Shaganappi Golf Course for the City of Calgary from 1993 to 2019
The following people have been given the distinction of being designated honorary members for exceptional dedication and commitment.
Rudy J. Verne * first president and principal organizer when club formed January 25, 1920